Director Merchandising EMEA
Founded in 1973, Patagonia is an outdoor apparel company based in Ventura, California. A certified B Corporation, Patagonia’s mission is to build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm and use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis. The company is recognized internationally for its commitment to product quality and environmental activism, contributing over $78 million in grants and in-kind donations to date.
Your role will contribute to this mission by leading the product function for the EMEA region in order to ensure long-term brand positioning and quality growth.
• Be seen as the product expert in EMEA, with ability to deliver clear and substantive input regarding competitive positioning, trends, market, and opportunities.
• Stay abreast of current and emerging trends via, retailing, web sites, trend services and editorials.
• Build and lead long and short-term product line strategies that are in alignment with the overall business strategy for all channels.
• As the company globally moves towards implementing the 7th online planning tool, the DM must drive, along with the Senior Demand Planner and Finance, the top down merchandising plan for all channels. This will primarily be used for Category Finance and line planning, line review and preliminary forecasting.
• Work closely with the Senior Demand Planner and the DP team in order to have the full vision on our demand and supply for all channels.
• Assist in ensuring approved calendars and timelines are met. Optimize the cross-functional working relationships to ensure timely delivery of the GTM propositions in Europe, driving best practices.
• Manage pricing strategy.
• Lead, motivate and inspire the merchandising team
• Act as the primary liaison with Sales as it is related to products, strategy and new product plans.
• Lead and organize the product selection for the trade shows and all European/EMEA events.
• Develop and monitor SKU performance for all channels.
• Plan product training via your team as is needed for EMEA employees and others.
• Help to execute the continuous improvement of all merchandising systems and tools to ensure world class merchandising practices.
• Own product related communications within global product function.
• Work with Marketing team to input on and define European product marketing stories.
• Act as key link with Global within Patagonia EMEA for all product related matters.
• Responsible for sampling strategy, assortment, buy and allocation to the sales team.
• Responsibility for product assortment, accuracy of information for any dealer or consumer facing tools (e.g. our work books).
• Work closely with our Retail team on assortment and buying of 3rd party vendors.
• University degree, ideally in business with marketing and sales focus, or equivalent professional experience / MBA a plus.
• Minimum 8-10 years’ experience in product/range management & merchandising preferably with a background in the outdoors and preferably within EMEA region
• Proven track record in developing and managing people.
• Functional awareness of store operations, Visual Merchandising, Marketing Activation, Human Resources, Finance, Supply Chain and Logistics.
• Ability to deal with deadlines and work under pressure.
• Strong analytical and communication skills.
• Fluent in English. Other language(s) an advantage.
• Strong knowledge of PowerPoint and Excel, merchandizing IT tools; e.g. Cognos BI Tool, PLM (Product Line Management tool), 7th Online Merchandise Planning and Assortment Planning, AX SSRS reports.
• Must have excellent presentation and communication skills.
• Excellent stakeholder management skills.
• Strong linkage with the Patagonia business and mission statement.
Patagonia is committed to equal employment opportunities and diversity.